Wednesday, July 14, 2010

HIW - Finishing a story


HOW I WRITE is a blog series where writers of different genres discuss how they go about the business of writing a book. Like snowflakes, writers are unique and we have unique ways to produce our creative product, our books. So walk with us, learn from us, and help us become better writers in the process. Click HERE to visit the other authors in this series!

There is a quote I read last week that went something like this: True happiness in life is having my beginnings than ends.

I really took that quote to heart for my personal life, but not so much for my writing career. This topic had me reviewing what I have on the go and I have at this moment (drum roll please) 5 wips - 2 of which are full novels.

What is the negative to having all this on the go?
1) In theory I should never hit a wall. If I have more than one story to focus on, I can keep my plot bunnies working all the time.
2) When I decide to refocus on one story, I have to reread what I have written to get back into the voice and groove of the story. This will either excite me and prove that I am on the right track, or I will start edits to fix what wasn't working anyways.
3) If I hear of a submission call...hey, I might just have something tucked away.

But what are the negatives?
1) Sometimes (mind you it is rare) I have the desire to work on two stories at the exact time.
2) It takes longer to finish a WIP if I am jumping too it.
3) I look at the amount of open stuff I have on my plate and want a nap. The pressure and self-induced stress can feel overwhelming not having enough time in the day to get to the deadlines I want too.
4) Heaven forbid I have a major writing sprint and finish everything - I'll have to edit everything at the same time and I hate to edit!

Having more than one WIP on the go doesn't work for everyone and to be truthful I wish I didn't work that way myself. I rather focus and get one writing, edited and out first, but where the fun in that? And that's really what it comes down to for me - writing is a passion for me at this point before it is a money making career, so at this point in my career I am letting my imagination, heart and plot bunnies led the way. :)

Has having more than one WIP on the go been a good or bad experience for you?

Happy writing,
Kendal

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a Freudian slip in there Kendal, you post both lists as negatives!!! Because I've always had issues with finishing things, I have forced myself not to start anything new until I've finished at least the first draft of a wip first. Self induced discipline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi – It’s good to read such interesting stuff on
    the Internet as I have been able to discover here.
    I agree with much of what is written here and I’ll be
    coming back to this website again. Thanks again for posting such
    great reading material!!



    merkur double edge razor

    ReplyDelete